Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cousins

 

PattiLibbiJudi

 
I grew up in a family of four kids, intertwined with our cousins' family of three girls.  Seven cousins in a ten-year age span.  Tons of laughter, lots of stories.

We went to the same high school.  Took a trip to Florida together.  I wore their (matching, made by my aunt) hand-me-downs.  As adults, we (girls) dressed up as Laura Ingalls Wilder and took a trip to Plum Creek.  I stayed at their house as a baby, while my mom recuperated from pneumonia.  When we're together, we always take a photo, lined up by age, standing backwards. We get each other's humor.  Together we share the unique family memories of "The Firecracker Incident", "The Canadian Boy Scouts Incident", the "Contagious-giggling-while-Uncle-Ed-read-the-Christmas-story-and-said-The-Lord's-Prayer Incident", and on and on.

Others have observed us and commented that this isn't the usual cousin relationship, it's like seven brothers and sisters.  Most people have cousins, but these are my cousins.  "PattiLibbiJudi", always mentioned in order and as one name.

Yesterday we got the shocking news that Cousin Libbi has died.  She had developed Lupus several years ago, and had various health complications from that, but was always able to fight back.  During this hospitalization, too, the doctors weren't expecting this outcome.

None of us can quite put into words how stunning this is; sobering to experience a death in the family in our own generation.

Death was not part of God's plan when He created the world.  Death is a cruel reminder that Satan is at work in this world, slithering around to "steal, kill, and destroy".  With Libbi's death, Satan has had a temporary victory, bringing intense sorrow to her family and friends.  The God-given blessings of family and friends have been suddenly cut off and replaced with pain.

And yet, while we are mourning this death, as Christians we really can also remember:
                    "But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and that He will
                    stand upon the earth at last.  And I know that after this body has
                    decayed, this body shall see God!  Then He will be on my side! 
                    Yes, I shall see Him, not as a stranger, but as a friend!  What a
                    glorious hope!"     Job 19:25-27 The Living Bible

Our family farewell song, sung whenever we part:  "Good-bye, good-bye, be always kind and true," and, "Remember me, I'm the one who loves you." 

We'll miss you Libbi, but we're still the seven cousins!





3 comments: