Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Robert Frost


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— 
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. 

                       Robert Frost

No offense to the good education I got in the Wayzata Public School system, but it seems like we studied Robert Frost’s poem many times over, and it still never thrilled me.
Right now, however, I’m thinking a lot about the last three lines.  I’m at a fork in the road, I have choices to make, and my choices will make a difference.

We’re unexpectedly back in the US after only 3-1/2 months in Jamaica.  We believe God called us to Robin’s Nest Children’s Home, we don’t believe the decision to send us home was the right decision, and we don’t believe God’s will was honored in this decision.  All of a sudden, we’re dealing with feelings of grief, hurt, and confusion, and trying to find a place to live, furnishings, jobs, and a car.  It’s overwhelming. 

The real questions at this fork in the road:  Is God in control?  Does He have a good plan for me?    

So far, my reactions to this situation have been hopelessness, despair, bitterness, and fear.  In many ways, those are the reactions that would take me on the path “more traveled by”.  Those are the reactions that Satan is expecting.

What if I give Satan the exact opposite?  More importantly, what if I take God AT HIS WORD?  What if I make a purposeful choice to believe everything the Bible says about God’s character:  He is faithful.  He is just.  He is sovereign.  He is love.  He is compassionate.  He is forgiving.  He will give us a hope and a future.  He is our Shepherd.  He sees us. 

I'm going to take that path.  

In some ways, it’s a harder path.  It goes against our nature and against what the world tells us.  There's no logic in it, and we can't see where it's going.  It’s “less traveled”.  

But look at this amazing promise:  For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you:  "Do not fear, I will help you."  Isaiah 41:13  

I will take God, the Creator of the universe, who raised Jesus from the dead, at His word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment